Saturday, August 1, 2020

The Savior and His Cross and Me

By Gerald Cowan

With my mind’s eye I view the cross
On which my Savior Jesus died,
That bloody instrument of death
Where Christ the man was crucified
For sin. One time, forever.

In countless years of time before,
Man’s sin and guilt were multiplied.
Christ took the debt upon Himself,
To man’s sin-debt His gift applied
By grace. Redeemed forever.

I hear the anguish in His voice
When to the Father, God, He cried,
“It’s done.”  The price has now been paid.
His sacrifice is justified.
To be repeated? Never.

No body hangs upon that cross,
In death the Lord did not abide.
Both cross and grave are empty now,
As empty as is human pride.
Empty, now and forever.

Not merely to the world of men,
To me the sacrifice applied.
What others do or fail to do,
His gift to me is not denied.
Sacred to me, forever.

Jesus, in your cross I would hide,
On it with You be crucified
And in it set all else aside
That in Your love I may abide
With You, in heav’n forever.

 - Gerald Cowan, a longtime preacher and missionary, is retired from full-time pulpit preaching. Gerald publishes an e-mail newsletter entitled GERALD COWAN’S PERSONAL PERIODICAL WRITINGS. He is available for Gospel Meetings and he may be contacted at Geraldcowan1931@aol.com

No comments:

Post a Comment