Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Why I Wear a Mask

By Edd Sterchi

Do you wear a face mask to help prevent the spread of coronavirus? I see a lot of people in society not wearing them. Many express that it is their right as an American not to wear one. I’ll be honest, when it was determined that wearing masks in public was a good idea, I did not originally do so. But after some reflection on the matter, I changed my mind and now I wear one. Here’s why. 

* The government has asked me to do it. As Christians, we are to follow the laws and regulations of the land (Rom. 13:1-2; 1 Pet. 2:13- 14). Of course, there is the exception of obeying God when God’s laws disagree with man’s (Acts 5:29), but, without a doubt, that does not apply here. Because the government has requested that I wear a mask, I should comply. 

* Compassion compels me to do it. The Bible instructs Christians to consider the needs of others even above their own (Phil. 2:3-4). Part of being a good neighbor is showing compassion for them and their needs (Luke 10:29-37). Because I could be a carrier of the virus and not know it, concern and compassion for others obligates me to wear a mask. 

* Love motivates me to do it. Agape love is a selfless, giving kind of love that acts on behalf of what is best for others (1 Cor. 13:4-8a). We are told that one of the greatest commands from God is to love your neighbor (Matt. 22:35-40). Love is a great motivator and true love for others should move us to wear masks when we are around them. 

When I consider all of the above, I can come to only one conclusion: Why do I wear a face make? Because God wants me to do it. It obeys the government’s wishes, it helps others, and it is a part of showing my love – and God wants me to do all of these to His glory. 

- Edd Sterchi preaches for the Broadway Church of Christ in Campbellsville, KY. He may be contacted through the congregation's website: http://www.broadwaychurchofchrist.net/


No comments:

Post a Comment