Saturday, August 1, 2020

Impressed

By Ron Adams

    A young man, who had moved to another state to complete his education, returned home one summer. He said he was working on his thesis for his Masters degree in his field of study. Before he moved away, he had on occasion given a talk or sermon, so he was asked to speak at the next Sunday evening service.
    That Sunday evening he presented a most impressive lesson. I was very much impressed. But not in the usual sense. It wasn’t the content of the lesson that impressed me, it was his vocabulary. He used words that I had never heard before.
    I spent most of my time trying to understand what those words might mean. I tried to write down the words so I could look up the definitions later, but I wasn’t sure how to spell the words.
    On that occasion, something made an indelible impression upon me. As a preacher I must speak in terms easily grasped and use words that are understood by the audience. I need to impress the listeners with the greatness of the message, not my vocabulary.
    A passage of Scripture found in First Corinthians chapter 2, came to mind: “And when I came to you, brethren, I did not come with superiority of speech or of wisdom, proclaiming to you the testimony of God. For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified.”

 - F.Y.C. is a monthly publication by Ron Adams. Bible references are from the NASB except where another translation is referenced. Back issues are archived at http://ra10ar.com Be thoughtful and kind. All rights reserved. © 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment