Saturday, August 1, 2020

Thanksgiving

By Steve Higginbotham

    Two months following the unexpected passing of my I was expected to celebrate Thanksgiving Day. In spite of the sorrow I've experienced, and the sadness we'll experience when Dad will not be sitting around the table with us, I still have so many reasons for which to give thanks.
    I'm thankful that I had my dad for 51 years. I know many who would give anything to have their father's as long as I had mine.
    I'm thankful for the kind of relationship I had with my dad throughout those 51 years. He was my friend, my mentor, and my confidant. He and my mother taught me about Jesus. It was his preaching that shaped my life. It was he who baptized me into Christ. And it was his integrity, attitude, priorities, and influence that caused me to want to preach as well.
    I'm thankful that I've never had reason to be ashamed of my dad. I've sometimes seen people fight to become their "own person," and fight the shadow of their father. However, I've always been content, not to be known as Steve Higginbotham, but as Frank Higginbotham's son.
    And I'm thankful that I can say my dad is my hero. I'm proud and thankful for a friend and fellow Christian where I preach for being a Silver Star recipient for his gallantry in service to our country. But I'm every bit as proud and thankful for my dad's service in a different army. Dad never received a medal, nor did he ever even pick up a rifle, but he sure could wield a sword effectively until the day he laid it down.
    Although Thanksgiving Day will be painful as I remember my loss, you can count on our family being among those who have reason to give thanks. What about you? If you're in Christ, you too have reason to give thanks, regardless of life's circumstances.

 - Steve Higginbotham preaches for the Karns Church of Christ in Knoxville, TN. He may be contacted through the congregation's website.  Copyright © 2016 MercEmail [edited]


No comments:

Post a Comment