Monday, January 18, 2021

If the Devil Had a Social Media Account

By Adam Faughn

    Just a few years ago, we never could have imagined having such a resource as social media. Although email was a big deal, the reach and impact of such sites as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram is nothing short of remarkable. None of these sites is good or bad in themselves, but how they are used decides the proper use of them.
    Knowing this I just wonder how it would look if our enemy, the devil (1 Peter 5:8), opened an account. I wonder what would populate his social media feed. Here are some possible things he might share with the world:
  • I imagine he would share things that might not be true but that simply prove his point. After all, he is the father of lies (John 8:44), so why would it matter if what he shared wasn't "fully" true?
  • I imagine he would share things that made people think less of each other instead of things that built others up. He might even do so through subtle or innocent-sounding comments, so as not to be obvious in what he is trying to do.
  • I imagine he would find it helpful to chime in on virtually every big event, news story and movement, trying to make sure people know how right he was and how he always looks so righteous. That way, people would be drawn to him as an angel of light (2 Corinthians 11:14)
  • I imagine he would share things that promote shows, movies, music, books, and games that aren't "that bad" but that contain some level of questionable morality. After all, if he can tempt us with just something little and get us hooked with the plotline or cool characters or great beat, he can slip in a little darker material soon enough (and, who knows, maybe we will even promote it ourselves).
  • I imagine he would share things that constantly show how awful the world is, so we would distrust virtually anyone who is not just like me. And he would consider it a bonus if he could get Christians to distrust each other because then they will not work together to save souls. They would be too busy arguing among themselves about politics or economic matters or other news items for all the world to see.
  • I imagine he would share things that are snarky, sarcastic, and cutting, just to see if he can get under people's skin, especially if it is over an issue that is multifaceted. However much he can get people to not think and, instead, just react, his job gets far easier. And, if they react with other cutting and sarcastic comments, it becomes even easier.
  • I imagine he would share things that, in the long run, do not matter. After all, he does not have to get Christians to hold sinful positions; he just has to keep them distracted from their real work of preaching the Gospel to the whole world.
    I do not follow the devil on social media, but I do have my own personal accounts. Have I, in the things I share and the way I interact, given my enemy a voice to do his work through my social media?

"When words are many, transgression is not lacking, but whoever restrains his lips is prudent." (Proverbs 10:19)
- Adam Faughn preaches for the Central Church of Christ in Paducah KY. He may be contacted through the congregation's website: http://www.centralchurchofchrist.org Visit the Faughn Family blog, A Legacy of Faith.


No comments:

Post a Comment