Monday, November 23, 2020

“Be Thankful to Him” Psa. 100:4

By Bill Brandstatter

    Thanksgiving means a lot of turkey for a lot of folks. There is too much of an emphasis on the  material and not the spiritual. This Thanksgiving our emphasis should be on the spiritual aspects of  Thanksgiving, not so much the physical.
    I am thankful for all the physical possessions that I have, but what would happen if I lost them  all? (Job 1:14,15) If it were not for God, I would have nothing. (Acts 17:28) Is there anything you are so  thankful for that you would shout about it? The Psalmist did.
    I am thankful for what God gives and has given me.
    This seems to be the point of this  Psalm. In spite of the fact that Israelites were provided for by God; nonetheless, they were not grateful,  but complained. (Numbers 20:1-13) Ps. 107:1 says: “O, give thanks unto the Lord.” Today, as members of  the church, the Israel of God, we should be very thankful. (Gal. 6:16)
    I am thankful for what God can do for me in the future. Psa. 100:5 
God's Word condemns the sin of ingratitude. To be like Christ we must be thankful. He offered  thanks for food in Luke 24:30. At the tomb of Lazarus, Jesus said, "Father, I thank you that you have  heard me.” (John 11:41) This is the whole point of this Psalm…thanksgiving. (vs 4)
    I am thankful for Who God is. Psa. 100:2, 3
    Webster says: "Forgetfulness of or poor return for kindness received: ungratefulness." Nine of  ten lepers whom Jesus healed did not return "to give glory to God." (Luke 17:11-19) Paul stated that some  would be unthankful. (2 Tim 3:1,2) Lack of proper training has caused ingratitude, leading some to  mistakenly believe that the world owes them a living. (Gen. 3:19; 2 Thess. 3:10)
    I am thankful for who we are.
    "We are his people and the sheep of His pasture” (Psa. 100:3b) God has a people who are His. (Heb. 8:10)
    I am grateful for being a child of God. John writes, “What manner of love the Father has bestowed  upon us, that we should be called the children of God.” (1 Jn. 3:1)
    I am grateful for the privilege and honor of being a member of the church for which Christ died  and purchased with his own blood. (Acts 20:28) I am thankful for being a part of the family of God (Eph.  3:15). What about you?
- Bill Brandstatter preaches for the Marion Church of Christ in Marion, IL. He may be contacted through the congregation's website: http://marionchurchofchrist.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment