Monday, June 1, 2020

Why Follow Jesus?

by Bill Brandstatter

    Jesus wants us to follow Him today. He said, "My sheep hear my voice and follow me." (John 10:27) He also stated, "If any man serves me, let him follow me." (John 12:26) Why should I follow Jesus? What would motivate a person to follow someone whom they have not seen? Three motives to follow Jesus include: (1) what He did for me, (2) what He is doing for me, and (3) what He is going to do for me.
    WHAT HE DID FOR ME … He left heaven and came to earth. (Phil. 2:6-9) He became a sin offering for me. He laid down His life for me. (1 John 3:16) He died to build His church where I could be part of a family. (Eph. 3:15) He gave His life that I might live. (Heb. 7:27) As a Christian I know of a number of things Christ has done for me; but the most important milepost in my life was when I was baptized into His blood. All that I have done since should reflect back to that day, that event, and what He did to make it possible.
    WHAT HE IS DOING FOR ME … Jesus is still doing for us today. Even though He is no longer visibly present in this world, He is still active. For Christians He is making intercession for us. The Hebrew writer described this intercession by stating, "seeing He ever liveth to make intercession for them.” (Heb. 7:25) He is also a mediator according to 1 Tim. 2:5. He is a go-between, a middle man, an arbitrator between man and God. No man who has ever lived, or will ever live can make the same claim or do the same as Christ. There is no stand-in for Christ on earth today. He gives me light to help me walk the straight and narrow. (1 John 1:9; Rom. 3:25)
    WHAT HE IS GOING TO DO FOR ME … He is coming back to get me. (1 Thess. 4:16-17) He will come to reward those who have followed Him till death. (Rev. 2:10) He is preparing a mansion for me to occupy. (John 14:1-4) He will judge me. (John 12:48) His judgment will be fair and merciful. (Matt. 25:36)
    Will you follow Jesus? It may be the case that you have obeyed the gospel, but you don't now follow Christ. You need to once again follow Him with the same zeal that you once did. For the Christian the great old song says it best, "Where He leads me I will follow."

 – Bill Brandstatter preaches for the Marion Church of Christ in Marion, IL. He may be contacted through the congregation's website: http://marionchurchofchrist.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment