By Jeff Arnette
Yes, it’s that time again. It is the time of year when we usually commit ourselves to several worthy goals. We do this because we want to make our lives and faith better. We want to improve and that is a worthy goal. I have noticed that most of our resolutions revolve around money, health, and family.
While these are worthy goals, what would it look like if you could set the resolutions for the church or your family? I would venture to say that we would set a much more rounded, holistic set of resolutions. As I reflected on this question, I came up with a list that I think is a good start. It is not perfect by any means but these are the things I would like to see myself and others focus on.
- Pray more – 1 Thessalonians 5:17.
- Invest in your God given talents – 1 Timothy 4:14-15; Matthew 25:14-30.
- Get more intentional about evangelism – 1 Corinthians 9:19-23.
- Care for yourself spiritually – Philippians 3:12-16; Mark 6:31; Exodus 20:8-11.
- Be willing to make the tough decisions – Acts 20:22-24.
- Confront the sin in your life – Heb. 12:1-2.
- Be forgiving of others and myself – Matthew 6:14-15.
- Love people without boundaries – 1 Corinthians 13:1-3.
- Quit comparing myself to others – John 21:20-23; 2 Corinthians 10:12.
- Read more – 2 Timothy 4:9, 13.
- Make family a priority – Colossians 3:18-21.
- Stay focused on the Lord and his church – Acts 2:42-47.
- Continue to grow – Ephesians 4:15-16; 2 Peter 3:17-17
- Treat others like I would like to be treated – Matthew 7:12; Isaiah 1:16-17.
- Seek heavenly things above all else – Colossians 3:1-2.
- Jeff Arnette preaches for the Central Haywood church of Christ, Clyde, NC. He may be contacted through the congregation's website: http://centralhaywoodchurchofchrist.com