Friday, May 1, 2020

My Never Again Resolutions

By Gerald Cowan

    I will never again say I can’t do a thing God requires if I have not honestly tried to do it. More than that, I will not say I cannot do it if I have not tried more than once, perhaps several times. An effort may fail because of some small miscalculation or some error in judgment or practice. Success may come when one tries again and adjusts for what he learned by the prior failure. But one cannot succeed in what God requires if he leaves out God’s help and resources. I will never say I cannot do what God asks and requires me to do, because I believe and accept that all such things are made possible for me by the Lord: I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me (Phil. 4:13, 19). There are other things on my never again list that flow from this first one.
    I will never again complain of weakness, for the Lord is the strength of my life (Ps. 27:1), and people who know God as their Lord shall be strong (Dan. 11:32). I can learn to be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might and know that I am dressed in the impregnable armor He supplies for the faithful (Eph. 6:10-17).
    I will never again be afraid. God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and love and a sound mind (2 Tim. 1:7). Since He himself has said, “I will never leave you or forsake you, what shall I fear of what man may do to me? (Heb. 13:5-6).  If God is my helper, what should I fear or not be willing to try?
    I will never again complain of lack or deficiency. My God shall supply my needs according to His riches in glory by Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:19). If I can know I am seeking his kingdom and righteousness above all else, I can trust that whatever my true needs are they will be supplied (Matthew 6:33-34). Not necessarily my need for food, water, clothing and shelter, or even for life in the body, but the needs of my soul (Philippians 4:11-12).
    I will never again say I do not know or cannot know who my enemy is. Jesus Christ is made to me wisdom from God (1 Corinthians 1:30). I know that God has given to each man the measure of faith, to overcome doubt and lack of faith (Romans 12:3). Satan would blind me to the truth and those who do not serve God would help him in the task. I will seek the truth only in the words of Christ and those he has inspired to speak for him. Knowing him and his truth will make me free from Satan and his errors and the world that submits to his rule (John 8:31-32).
    I will never again allow Satan to control my life, for greater is He who is within us than he who is against us (1 John 4:4) and God always causes us to triumph in Christ Jesus (2 Corinthians 2:14).
    I will never again yield to frustration and worry, or to isolation and despair. Jesus is our hope (1 Timothy 1:1). He is a true friend who sticks closer than a brother (Proverbs 18:24 and John 15:13). I will learn to cast all my care on him who cares for me (1 Peter 5:7). 

- Gerald Cowan, a longtime preacher and missionary, is retired from full-time pulpit preaching. Gerald publishes an e-mail newsletter entitled GERALD COWAN’S PERSONAL PERIODICAL WRITINGS. He is available for Gospel Meetings and he may be contacted at Geraldcowan1931@aol.com

No comments:

Post a Comment