Monday, June 30, 2014

I AM THE FLAG

I am the flag of the United states of America.  I was born on June 14, 1777 in Philadelphia.  There the Continental Congress adopted my stars and stripes as the national flag.

My thirteen stripes, alternating red and white, with a union of thirteen white stars on a field of blue represented a new constellation, a new nation dedicated to the personal and religious liberty of mankind.  Today fifty stars signal from my union—one for each of the fifty sovereign states in the greatest constitutional republic the world has ever known.

My colors symbolize the patriotic ideals and spiritual qualities of the citizens of my country.

My red stripes proclaim the fearless courage and integrity of American men and women and the self-sacrifice and devotion of American fathers and mothers.

My white stripes stand for liberty and equality for all.

My blue is the blue of heaven, loyalty, and faith.

I am the flag.  I symbolize all that is uplifting and good about our country.

-Selected and edited; via THE SOWER, a weekly publication of the Arthur Church of Christ, Arthur, IL. Ron Bartanen, who serves as minister and editor, may be contacted through the congregation's website: http://www.arthurchurchofchrist.com



No comments:

Post a Comment