Monday, June 2, 2014

Distract, Drift, and a Rock

By Ron Thomas

It is one thing to say the Lord is my strength, the Rock of my salvation and to really mean it. In Psalm 62:6 the Psalmist said, “He only is my rock and my salvation; He is my defense; I shall not be moved.” Reflect on these words and consider the meaning and application. First, only God is one’s rock. The “rock” in this context is not some pebble in the driveway, but something much more substantive, literally, “my high rocky summit” (NET margin). This gives a clearer picture, doesn't it? Moreover, the Lord is also one’s defender, protector. With the Lord’s word in place, with the application of that word in one’s life, what is it that Satan and his forces can do? He will certainly try to move us, but since our anchor is in the Lord, how shall that be? Since he will have no success there, he will distract us, and then hope that we drift. When one keeps his eye on the Lord, however, there is no movement away from Him.

- Ron Thomas serves as preacher and an elder for the Highway Church of Christ, Sullivan, IL  He may be contacted through the congregation's website: http://www.highwaycofc.com



No comments:

Post a Comment