Thursday, October 1, 2020

Raising the Dead

By Gerald Cowan

He did not say, “Bring out the dead.”
“Lazarus, come forth,” the Savior said.
And had he not thus specified
All the dead would have complied.
One day he will give that command,
And, from all parts of sea and land
The dead from all time past will come,
No longer blind or deaf or dumb.
Each then will speak in his own voice,
Admit and verify his choice
Of how, in what way he would live
And what of self to God he’d give.
Each then will hear Lord Jesus say,
“Come with me now,” or, “Go away.”
“With or without me you will be
Both now and in eternity.”
Not only Lazarus, but me
From death the Savior Christ did raise.
With countless others He has saved
From hell I lift my voice in praise.
Two and sixty years have passed
Since I, dead then in sin,
Was called to life again by Christ,
My war with Satan thus to win.
With my defending Savior Christ
Beside me I choose not to flee.
To my soul’s enemies he says,
“To own him you must conquer Me.”
Now dressed in armor God supplies
And with Lord Jesus close beside,
Not dreading death or any foes
I in my Savior’s love abide.
To His memorial supper He
Invites, and makes a place for me.
How could I dishonor and reject
The one who saved and made me free? 
To spurn his invitation now –
Has gratitude now grown so dim? –
Would be dishonor, more to me
Than it could ever be to him.
God help me honor Your dear Son,
My Savior Lord, through whom I pray,
And in eternal servitude
Give the tribute I am glad to pay.
- Gerald Cowan, a longtime preacher and missionary, is retired from full-time pulpit preaching. Gerald publishes an e-mail newsletter entitled GERALD COWAN’S PERSONAL PERIODICAL WRITINGS. He is available for Gospel Meetings and he may be contacted at Geraldcowan1931@aol.com

No comments:

Post a Comment