Monday, February 10, 2020

The Promise of the Lord is Heaven

By Gerald Cowan

It was cold that January morning
But the fire of God was in my heart.
The pressing guilt of sin had given warning
That I should turn and make a fresh new start.

My wife was there, the one who introduced me
To the Lord and to this friendly man
Who with love and endless patience helped me see
How to fit my life into God’s great plan.

I have forgotten who was in the crowd
Or what the preacher’s sermon was about.
I wanted to confess the Christ out loud
And in baptism wash the devil out.

Identified with Christ was my obsession,
My strength and mind and will to him be bent.
To be the Lord’s particular possession,
And to be only his was my intent.

My old man of sin was left behind
When from my watery grave I did arise.
“Brother, thanks,” I said with grateful mind, 
To that first smiling face who met my eyes.

Then with my wife, my sister in the Lord
Who had brought us together to be one
In him, according to God’s holy word,
I gave my thanks for what the Lord had done.


   
Both life and outlook now are much improved,
But I remember still the sordid past.
God gives me strength so I shall not be moved
And promises the joy of heav’n at last.

- Gerald Cowan, a longtime preacher and missionary, is retired from full-time pulpit preaching. Gerald publishes an e-mail newsletter entitled GERALD COWAN’S PERSONAL PERIODICAL WRITINGS. He is available for Gospel Meetings and he may be contacted at Geraldcowan1931@aol.com



No comments:

Post a Comment