Friday, October 11, 2024

Cogito, Ergo Sum

By Bob Prichard


    “Cogito, ergo sum”—“I think, therefore I am” is perhaps the most famous philosophical statement ever made. Scientist and philosopher René Descates wrote these words in his Discourse on Method (1637). He reasoned logically that since he was able to think, he knew he existed. He continued to reason from this point that God exists.

    Louis XIV had a different philosophy: “l’etat, c’est moi”—“I am the state.” It is not surprising that he would come to this conclusion in view of the fact that he reigned as king over France for seventy-two years. His absolute monarchy set a pattern followed in several other European countries. No doubt his style of tyrannical behavior contributed to the bloody French revolution of 1789.

    Anna B. Warner penned a philosophy for all of us, however, with her words, “Jesus loves me! This I know, For the Bible tells me so.” In her 1860 hymn we find words of comfort and strength! This hymn is a favorite with children, but all of us can benefit from the words written for her Bible class of West Point cadets.

    Even if you missed every other doctrinal point in the New Testament, surely you could not miss this one. “For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die. But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us” (Romans 5:6–8).

    “And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name” (John 20:30–31).

    “Jesus loves me! He who died, Heaven’s gate to open wide; He will wash away my sin, Let his little child come in. Yes, Jesus loves me; Yes, Jesus loves me; Yes, Jesus loves me, The Bible tells me so.”



- Bob Prichard serves as an elder and evangelist for the Hillview Church of Christ in Birmingham, Alabama, since 2016. In his forty-five years of preaching he has served churches in Tennessee, North Carolina, and Alabama.


No comments:

Post a Comment