Sunday, September 3, 2023

MERCY and GRACE

By Ed Wittlif
 
    “The LORD’s lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, for His compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is Thy faithfulness” (Lamentations 3:22-23 NASB). 
 
    Jerusalem has been destroyed and most of the people are taken into captivity. There is only a remnant left. There is great lamentations over God’s punishment. However, there is hope because of God’s mercy. 
 
    Mercy is God not treating me as I deserve. Grace is God treating me not as I deserve. Because of my sins I deserve death, that is separation from God. Ephesians 2:1a, “And you were dead in your trespasses and sins.” That was once me for I was without God and was dead. I reached a point in my life where I was searching for answers. As I found out when you are actively and diligently looking God will respond.
    Thanks to a friend’s wedding I met a minister and we started studying. To paraphrase Romans chapter 6; I was immersed into Christ Jesus, united with His atoning death, my old sinful self was crucified with Jesus, and like He was raised by God’s power I too was raised to a new life. Because I am in Christ, I am united with Father God and am now alive.
    “But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved) (Ephesians 2:4-5). Since I am in Christ, God treats me as if I never sinned. God demonstrated His love through the sacrifice of His Son on the cross.
    For this reason, I love the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit and have committed my life to serving God. I encourage you to see the love of God in the cross.
 
    Hymn: “Redeemed” by Fanny J. Crosby
    ABBA Father, I can never express in words my thanks for my redemption. I can only hope to demonstrate my love through my obedient life. May I never forget the price paid for me. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

- Ed Wittlif lives in Fort Worth, Texas. Ed has written two books, Baptism What is it Good For? and 52 Devotionals on Spiritual Warfare. Both are available on Amazon, He has served the church in many roles and as a shepherd. Ed can be reached at es_witt_504@yahoo.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment