Monday, December 21, 2020

Lord, Be In My Heart

By Gerald Cowan

I have often been deterred  
And with God do not stay,
Not because I do not know
Or understand His way – 
His Word makes it very clear
There is no other way. 
But some desire clouds my mind
And causes me to stray.
   
Forbidden fruit is tempting,
And stolen water sweet.
Tasted, it grows in allure                        
And calls me to repeat
Once more, and then again
Until I know defeat
And I am helpless to resist.
My shame is now complete.

Can I ever then be saved
And make another start?
Jesus promises to be
In every opened heart,
But He will not force His way
Into an unreceptive heart.
Each one chooses for himself
To stay, or to depart.

I know He wants me to come,
And to Him give my heart.
Forgiv’n by Him I will be clean.
He will allow me a new start
And help me never more to stray,
Never from Him depart.
To own me now and always, Lord
Come in, stay in my heart.
- Gerald Cowan, a longtime preacher and missionary, is retired from full-time pulpit preaching. Gerald publishes an e-mail newsletter entitled GERALD COWAN’S PERSONAL PERIODICAL WRITINGS. He is available for Gospel Meetings and he may be contacted at Geraldcowan1931@aol.com


No comments:

Post a Comment