By Steve Higginbotham
1. If you’re growing, you must be doing something right.
2. One is in good standing with God so long as He can find his name written in the book The United Church Directory.
3. God wants you to be happy more than he wants you to be holy.
4. Teenagers must have a Youth Minister and be a part of an organized Youth Ministry to grow spiritually.
5. If it’s not broken, don’t fix it or change it.
6. If it’s new, we shouldn’t do it.
7. If it’s old, we shouldn’t do it.
8. If a person is struggling spiritually, give them a Bible class to teach or some other responsibility that will keep them attending.
9. Making sure we have a Bible class for all ages is more important than having qualified teachers in those classrooms (in other words, the church is a slave to the Bible class arrangement rather than the Bible class arrangement being a servant to the church).
10. Choosing to be a compassionate church or a doctrinally sound church is an “either or” proposition. These are a few myths that I have heard or witnessed through the years.
—taken from Seven Oaks church of Christ bulletin, February, 2013
- Steve Higginbotham preaches for the Karns Church of Christ in Knoxville, TN. He may be contacted through the congregation's website at http://www.karnschurch.org Copyright © 2019 MercEmail