Monday, November 4, 2013

Access

By Lance Cordle

    My recent experience in working with the administration and other workers at a local performing arts center has caused me to think about the concepts of restriction and access. 99% of the time that I visit that building, I am an average person, either paying a price to enter, or given very limited privileges as a visitor to offices. However, as a representative of those who rented the facilities, I was given broad access to many areas and resources of the building. I found myself in rooms and corridors that I normally would not have. I even discovered an open door that I could enter that not too many people knew about as they were entering the front doors.
    My work with computers also leads me to another perspective of access on which to meditate. Sometimes when I am working online, I will attempt enter a part of a website and a warning flashes to the screen: “Access Denied!” For whatever reason, I do not have the authority to enter that particular part of the website. I must respect that and move on to other parts that I can enter.
    Both of these illustrations help me in scriptural application. I read in Scripture of the blood of Christ that was shed for me and can cleanse me from my sin (Hebrews 9:23-28; 1 John 1:7). However, that blood is not cleansing everyone today, even though it is for everyone. Therefore, there must be access given to us so that we might be cleansed by it. Paul was told to “Rise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on his name” (Acts 22:16). Later, Paul wrote that we are “baptized into his death” (Romans 6:3, 4), and he was speaking of the death of Jesus. It is logical to see that the point of access into the blood of Christ is the baptism of a person into Christ. That blood, once accessed, provides the payment of the debt for our sins (Romans 6:23) and the cleansing power for past and future sins (1 John 1:7).
    In addition to the initial access mentioned above, the blood of Christ gives us access to the throne room of God! How great a privilege it is for us to know that we can approach God freely and at any time with a request that we may have. The words of Hebrews 4:16 encourage us: “Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.”
    How about you? Can you confidently affirm that you have entered Christ by way of being baptized into Christ and his death, thereby gaining access to his blood? Can you confidently bow your head in prayer and know that God will hear you and help you?

- Lance Cordle preaches the Calvert City Church of Christ in Calvert City, KY.  He may be contacted through the congregation's website:
http://www.calvertchurchofchrist.com

No comments:

Post a Comment