Monday, December 31, 2012

What I Love about the Church

by Adam Faughn
     I love the Church…
- Because Christ loves the Church.
- Because Christ bought the Church.
- Because God watches over the Church.
- Because the Bible guides the Church.
- Because the Church is “the pillar and ground of the truth.”
- Because the Church is a family.
- Because the Church has her headquarters in heaven.
- Because my fellow Christians are the salt of the earth.
- Because my brothers and sisters weep, laugh, and struggle alongside me.
- Because the Church is the home of the saved.
- Because incalculable good works have been done (and are being done) by the Church.
- Because the devil will never overtake the Church.
There are many other reasons, but that list represents some of my favorites. If I had to choose just one reason why I love the Church, though, it is because it is the Church “of Christ.” It is His Church, and it is to His glory.
     As Christ died on the cross, His blood served as the substitution for my sins, but it also purchased the Church. It saddens me that some are moving away from placing His name on the Church that He purchased. While “Church of Christ” isn’t the only Biblical designation for the Church, it is a name we should wear proudly, since Christ is ever proud of His Church.
     Each time I reflect on the name placed on the marquee of our building, on our bulletin, and in dozens of other places, I am filled with thankfulness, because Christ loved the Church enough that “He gave Himself for her.” Unity, excitement, motivation, and service should all be spawned from that one idea.
     Why do I love the Church?
     What’s not to love!

- Adam Faughn serves as the pulpit minister for the Lebanon Road Church of Christ in Nashville, TN.  He may be contacted through the congregation’s website at: http://www.lebanonroadchurchofchrist.org


No comments:

Post a Comment