Monday, January 9, 2012

What Will People Remember About My Teaching?

By Jerrie Barber
     I was going through my files and found this note written by Danny Lutz, December 4, 1974. I was reminded of the long-term investment that a teacher makes when she/he prepares a class and presents a lesson.
     Notice what Danny wrote and remembered about his first Sunday School teacher.
     The teacher that probably influenced me more than any other one was Mrs. Imogene Long. This was a long time ago when I first started coming to Sunday School at the church building on Grapevine Road. I was in about the 8th grade at school and never thought very much about the church. When I was encouraged to attend the church of  Christ by some of my friends, I found myself in Mrs. Long’s class. She was the first “real Sunday School teacher I had ever known. She amazed me because of her knowledge of the Bible and her reverence. She would not put up with any foolishness, but yet, she seemed just like one of us. After the class period, we  would sing some hymns. She enjoyed this very much. She especially liked to sing “Angry Words.” Mrs. Long just seemed “set apart” from other teachers I had known. She was not the most “learned” teacher that I have been studying under as I have progressed through the years, but, as far as impressing me with the church, she was probably the Most Important teacher I’ve ever had.
     What do you notice? Here’s what impressed me:

Danny started coming to class because some friends invited him.
He was fortunate to get in a class with an excellent teacher.
She knew her Bible.
She demonstrated an attitude of reverence.
She had order and respect in her class. This  was consistent with her attitude of respect.
She related well to her students.
She liked to sing and communicated that to her students.
     It has been more than three decades since I read this for the first time. I am again encouraged by this teacher and her student. Imogene Long died in 2005. Her life and lessons are still remembered.
     What will my students remember about me?

- Jerrie Barber; via
The Encourager, the weekly bulletin for the Calvert City church of Christ, Calvert City, KY.  Lance Cordle preaches for the congregation.  He may be contacted through the congregation's website: http://www.calvertchurchofchrist.com

No comments:

Post a Comment