Monday, December 5, 2011

A “Can Do” Attitude

By Jason Hart

    “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” (Philippians 4:13).  Allow me to create what I call a “step study.”  A “step study” may seem a bit tedious but it can greatly help in the application of a passage.
    “I” - Because of the first person pronoun “I,” the reader automatically becomes a part of the verse.
    “I Can” - Saying “I can” leaves out any “I think,” “I might,” “I could,” or “I should.”
    “I Can Do” - When we say, “I can do,” what we mean to suggest is that we can put our lives into action with confidence.  I’s not just a passing thought.
    “I Can Do All Things” - Everything within righteous reason is possible with the right attitude.
    “I Can Do All Things Through” - There is a powerful source through which we can accomplish much.  It is not beside of, over, or under - it is through.
    “I Can Do All Things Through Christ” - Christ is the central force through whom all righteous things can be accomplished.
    “I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens” - It is Christ, who, as our Savior, Redeemer, Mediator, High Priest, and King, provides insurmountable strength to those who love Him.
    “I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me” - Last but not least, the reader is not only encouraged by the strength that Christ provides, but by the strength He provides on an individual basis.

- Jason Hart (adapted); via the weekly bulletin of the Harrisburg church of Christ in Harrisburg, IL.  


No comments:

Post a Comment