Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Making Space

By Mark Adams

“I just can’t do it, Doc,” said Frank, “It doesn’t fit into my schedule. I’ve got to get to the office early if I want to get anything done. While I’m at work, it’s one constant rush. Most afternoons, my kids have ball practice, and on the other days, they have piano lessons. If we have time, my wife makes dinner, but most days we just have to get fast food. I don’t like to miss the news, and by the time we get the kids down to sleep, I’m lucky to catch some of the late night talk shows. There’s just no room in my schedule.”

The doctor replied, “Frank, let me put it like this: Would it fit your schedule better for you to exercise one hour per day, or for you to be dead 24 hours per day?”

A person who doesn’t want to get their priorities straight will always have an excuse for why they can’t. I don’t know if we fare better or worse than any other generation in the area of time management, but regardless of how the scales might tip, we have got to learn how to make some room for God in our life. There is always another show on the TV, another song on the radio, and another Facebook status update to read. But this business of always “keeping busy” has a way of crowding out the margins in our life where we can connect with God. When Elijah was hiding in Horeb (I Kings 19), he was instructed to go out on a mountain and to wait for the Lord. First, an earth-shattering wind came by, but God was not in the wind. Next came a massive earthquake, but God was not in the earthquake. Next came a blazing fire, but God was not in the fire. Finally came a quiet whispering voice, and it was in the quiet and calm that Elijah found the Lord. If you want for God’s truth to be a part of your life, you can’t expect him to overpower all the noise of daily life. His voice is gentle, yet firm and reliable. Make some time this week to turn down life’s volume and to listen to God instead.

- Mark Adams, Old Hickory, TN; via The Encourager, the weekly bulletin for the Calvert City church of Christ, Calvert City, KY. Lance Cordle preaches for the congregation. He may be contacted through the congregation's website: http://www.calvertchurchofchrist.com

No comments:

Post a Comment