Monday, April 25, 2011

Where No One Stands Alone

By Patrick Hogan

While thinking about an article for this space in the bulletin, one of those strange thought chains descended upon me. Through several twists and turns it led me to think about the song "Where No One Stands Alone."

"Once I stood in the night with my head bowed low,
in the darkness as black as could be.
And my heart was afraid and I cried,
'Oh Lord, don't hid your face from me.'"

"Like a king, I may live in a palace so tall
with great riches to call my own.
But I don't know a thing in this whole wide world
that's worse than being alone.

"Hold my hand all the way, every hour,
every day from here to the great unknown.
Take my hand, let me stand
where no one stands alone."

While finding ourselves all alone may be a frightening experience, there is great assurance in the realization that regardless of where we may be, Jesus Christ will never abandon us. (Hebrews 13:5) He will accompany us through this life and even through the valley of the shadow of death! Furthermore, the apostle John reassures us with these words, "My little children, these things I write to you, so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous." (1 John 2:1) Not only does Jesus go with us, He stands up for us, as our Advocate before the Father. What blessings we have in Him!

- Patrick Hogan serves as a minister and elder of the Shady Acres church of Christ, in Sikeston, MO. He may be contacted through the church's website at http://www.shadyacreschurch.com


No comments:

Post a Comment