Sunday, June 7, 2009

Service

A MAN WAS discussing how empty his life was, and he knew that something had to be changed...

This might appear strange, because he had all of the outward signs of success -- at least those the world prized highly.

To illustrate the void in his life he said, "The only happiness I have had lately was something that happened the last time I came to services. That was a day when the temperatures dropped noticeably while we were at worship. As I began to drive off the parking lot, I noticed an elderly couple leaving. They did not have coats because they lived so close, and they had walked to services. It was cold, so I turned around and drove over to them. I rolled my window down and insisted, in spite of their reluctance, that they let me take them home. That feeling of being helpful was the greatest thing I had felt in a long, long time."

THOUGHT: Life is at its best when we're doing good for others. Much of the depression experienced by millions stems from being too self-focused. The harder people try to please themselves and lay hold of happiness, the more frustratingly elusive satisfaction becomes. God made our eyes to look outward not inward. As we key in on the hurts and pains of our neighbors, surprisingly our own petty grievances seem to shrink in proportion. Maybe, secretly, we realize that if we can help others cope with life, there is hope for us too. (Kerry Knight)

KneEmail: "...I know that here is nothing better for man than to be happy and do good while they live" (Ecclesiastes 3:11).

Bible reading for 02.06.09: Mark 10:1-31; Deuteronomy 1, 2

- Mike Benson edits an on-line devotional entitled KneEmail. To subscribe, send ANY message to: kneemail-subscribe@welovegod.org Mike may be contacted at mlbenson@wowway.com


No comments:

Post a Comment