Thursday, July 4, 2024

A Just Balance

 

By Clifton Angel


    In the midst of a painful grief that I cannot fathom, Job proclaimed to his accusing friends, "Let me be weighed in an even balance, that God may know mine integrity" (Job 31:6). Many of us have seen the balances, or scales, of old that were used in many areas of industry, medicine, and commerce. On one side of the scale is the product to be weighed or measured. On the other side of the scale are the proper standard weights to be placed. It was sometimes possible for dishonest merchants to produce or obtain weights which were actually less than their labeled amount. This would mean the customer would get much less product for his money, and the seller would have a dishonest profit.

    The illustration of such a balance was often used in judging the character or heart of an individual. For example Solomon wrote, "A false balance is abomination to the LORD: but a just weight is his delight" (Proverbs 11:1). Furthermore, he wrote, "Divers weights are an abomination unto the LORD; and a false balance is not good" (Proverbs 20:23), and "A just weight and balance are the LORD’S: all the weights of the bag are his work" (Proverbs 16:11).

    As I ponder the justice, righteousness, and holiness of God, I am reminded of my imperfection and past sins. I tremble at the thought of confidently saying the same words that Job said, "Let me be weighed in an even balance, that God may know mine integrity" (Job 31:6), because I know in a just balance, I will never measure up. But then, I am reminded of the precious blood of Jesus: the one thing that can take away my sins; the one thing that can make me whole again; the one thing that makes it possible for me to stand confidently in the "even balance" of God, that He may know my (Jesus') integrity.

    Why would I not want to be in contact with that blood? Why would I not do whatever it takes to follow Him with all my heart and obey His every command (Matthew 16:24; Luke 9:23; Hebrews 5:9)? Are you in contact with Jesus' blood (Revelation 1:5; Acts 22:16; Romans 6:3–4;1 John 1:7–9)?


- David R. Ferguson preaches for the Mentor Church of Christ in Mentor, OH.  He may be contacted through the congregation's website: http://mentorchurchofchrist.com/ or davidferguson61@yahoo.com


No comments:

Post a Comment