Sunday, June 16, 2024

Do Not Be Afraid

 

By Jared Green

    You may have heard it said that the Bible says ‘do not fear’ 365 times—one command for every day of the year. That is a very encouraging statement, and it is true that God often commands his followers not to fear, but you likely will not be able to find exactly 365 ‘do not fear’ statements in your Bible. Though the phrase may not appear that number of times, it is still one of God’s most commonly given commands. 
    There are many life situations that lead us to fear. Will I marry the right person? Will I get the job? Will I be able to pay the electric bill this month? Will I be able to beat this diagnosis? Will my marriage survive this rough patch? How will I continue on now that my loved one is gone? At times, the list of life situations that lead us to fear seems never-ending. Yet God tells us not to fear. While that may seem like a difficult command to live out, it is imperative that we understand that God’s command to be fear-free is not given simply in the abstract. Instead, God reminds us that we can let go of fear because he is on our side. 
    Oftentimes when I read the Bible, I find myself thinking just how glad I am that I am not in the shoes of some of its men and women. Joshua is one of those men. I cannot imagine trying to lead God’s people into the promised land immediately after Moses’ death. Scripture says of Moses, “And there has not arisen a prophet since in Israel like Moses, whom the LORD knew face to face” (Exodus 34:10). Even still, Joshua was called by God to take his place. Undoubtedly, Joshua found himself in one of those life situations that breeds fear. But as God often did throughout the Israelites’ wilderness journey, he commanded Joshua not to fear. At the end of a great passage in which God commissions Joshua to lead his people, God says, “Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go” (Joshua 1:9). 
    God commanded Joshua to let go of his fear because God was on his side. So long as Joshua trusted and obeyed God, he was promised success and prosperity as Israel’s leader (Joshua 1:8). As we consider one of God’s most commonly given commands, let us remember that the reason we can let go of fear is because our God loves us, cares for us, and is on our side. “If God is for us, who can be against us?” (Romans 8:31). God loves you, and so do I. 



- Jared Green preaches the Calvert City Church of Christ in Calvert City, KY. He may be contacted through the congregation's website: http://www.calvertchurchofchrist.com



No comments:

Post a Comment