Sunday, October 30, 2022

Under Construction

By Clifton Angel

    We are accustomed to driving through construction zones. We know that we are to slow down in these areas. We know that we are to be more cautious in these areas. With this illustration in mind, what if we approached every human being (especially our brothers and sisters in Christ) with the understanding and assumption that they are "under construction."
    There's a spiritual song I had not heard until we obtained a particular CD for our children to listen to in the car. The chorus to the song goes as follows: "He's still working on me, To make me what I need to be; It took him just a week to make the moon and stars, The sun and the earth and Jupiter and Mars; How loving and patient He must be, 'Cause He's still workin' on me." In the midst of the repeated chorus can be found two stanzas which contain the following: "There really ought to be a sign upon my heart, Don't judge him yet, there's an unfinished part; But I'll be better just according to His plan, Fashioned by the Master's loving hands;" and "In the mirror of His word, Reflections that I see, Makes me wonder why He never gave up on me; But He loves me as I am and helps me when I pray; Remember He's the potter, I'm the clay."
    Isaiah proclaimed on behalf of Israel, "But now, O LORD, thou art our father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand" (Isaiah 64:8.). True Christians are under continual construction by the Word of God. Consider Paul's words, which principles apply to Christians even today:
"Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good. Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another; Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord; Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer; Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality. Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not. Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep. Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits. Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men. If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men. Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord. Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good" (Romans 12:9–21).
    Are we allowing God's Word to mold us? Are we allowing His Hands to work through His providence and our practice? Every human being is "under construction;" however, not every person is allowing God to be His crew leader, supervisor, or foreman.
- Clifton Angel preaches for the Coldwater Church of Christ in Coldwater, MS. He may be contacted through that congregation's website: http://www.coldwatercofc.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment