Sunday, May 29, 2022

Too Concerned About It?

By Bill Brandstatter

 

    During a recent health situation, I was calling the doctor’s office and asking a lot of questions. I over think things and worry too much about stuff. Recently, I did that with a question I had. One of the nurses told me I was too concerned about it. I thought about that statement in regard to man and his salvation. Some men may not be concerned about their salvation at all. Others may be unsure. The Bible teaches that I can know some things that will assure me, I don’t need to over think it.

    First, we are saved by grace. Understanding the grace of God is too deep for man to fathom (Rom. 11:33). How could He send His son to die for man while the world was full of sin and still is? (Rom. 5:8). The graciousness of God was revealed to all men when Jesus came and died for us (Titus 2:11,12). We are truly saved by grace (Eph. 2:5). Understanding the grace of God helps us to understand our standing with Him. I must have faith in Him and His grace. Paul wrote; “We are saved by grace through faith, it is not in ourselves, it is the gift of God (Eph. 2:8).

    Next, we must do something. God’s grace is made available to all mankind; but man must do something. The Bible teaches man must believe in God (Heb. 11:6). I must believe the gospel and its saving message (Mark 16:15,16). Just believing in God’s grace is not enough. I must also believe Jesus is the Son of God and confess that before men (Acts 8:37). I then must be baptized to have my sins forgiven (Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38; 1 Pet. 3:21). My faith must be put into action in my life. Faith manifests itself in the works that I do (James 2:22:26).

    Next, I must work on my salvation. Once saved, I must continually strive to do what I can to make my call and election sure (2 Pet. 1:10). Peter gives us supplements to make sure. These include: virtue, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, brotherly kindness and love (2 Pet. 1:5-8). Then, he assures us: “If these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ” (2 Pet. 1:8). He further adds: “If you do these things, you will never stumble; for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ” (2 Pet. 1:10,11). Paul adds a statement to help us when he writes: “work out your own salvation with fear and trembling” (Phil. 2:12).

    Finally, I must spend my life serving and worshipping God. Paul tells the church at Rome to “...present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service” (Rom. 12:1 NKJV). Then he adds: “...and do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God” (Rom. 12:2). We should present our lives as a living sacrifice. Regarding worship, Jesus says the Father is seeking true worshippers to worship Him in Spirit and in truth (John 4:23,24). Worship matters to God and it should to us also.

    Do I need to be concerned about my salvation? Absolutely! All I can do is what the Bible indicates—live for God according to His Word. The rest is in His hands.
Bill Brandstatter preaches for the Marion Church of Christ in Marion, IL. He may be contacted through the congregation's website: http://marionchurchofchrist.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment