Monday, June 28, 2021

The Aroma Of Christ

By Al Behel

For we are the aroma of Christ to God” (2 Corinthians 2:15)
    For many years as I pulled into my parking place at my office and stepped from my car I inhaled what seemed to be a strong cup of black coffee. Across a wooded area was JFG Coffee Company. The EPA had not required filters and the aroma was one of the most welcomed orders I could have experienced so early in the morning.
    In contrast to that pleasing aroma, I had a friend whom I could have picked out of 500 women. Her perfume was distinctly identifiable and I had developed an allergy to certain fragrances. She was one of the most delightful individuals I have known and I dared not suggest she change her “aroma.”
    The apostle Paul tells us that we should have a distinct, but very pleasing aroma. He calls it the “aroma of Christ.” When people encounter us they should know we have been with Jesus. That aroma rises to God who is very pleased with the odor that arises from our lives. We are like “living sacrifices” whose fragrance penetrates the air around us.
    I think of a man whose effect on others was so profound that a member of his community said of him, “That man never crosses my pathway without me being better for it.” We leave a lasting impression for God when we have the aroma of Jesus.
    Paul says that this fragrance impacts those who are being saved and those who are perishing. To the saved it is a fragrance “from life to life” and to those who Chriare perishing it is a fragrance “from death to death.” The aroma of Christ is convicting, challenging, and revealing of the character of those around us. It warms the hearts and encourages those who are following Christ, but it provides a deep contrast to those who are walking in darkness.
    God wants us to be like Jesus, look like Jesus, and “smell” like Jesus. He want others to know He lives in us.
- Al Behel preaches for the Great Smoky Mountains Church of Christ in Pigeon Forge, TN. He may be contacted through the congregation's website: http://greatsmokymountainschurchofchrist.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment