Tuesday, March 2, 2021

Whom Do You Trust?

By Bill Brandstatter

     There are times in our lives when we must trust other people. As a small child, I trusted my parents to provide for my needs. When I started working, I trusted my employer to give me a paycheck. When I have medical needs, I trust a health care professional. Sometimes, I may question a decision that is made. I might decide not to take a recommended procedure. I might decide to refuse treatment; but, ultimately, I have to put my trust in someone else.
     What about our spirituality? I must trust what God says. I might not like what He says. I may decide not to do what He says; but ultimately, we will all stand before Him. (2 Cor. 5:10) We will be judged by what we knew and what we obeyed. (John 12:48) Many people trust themselves for spirituality. They make up their own rules and ideas about what it means to be spiritual. Often those ideas are far from God’s. The apostle Paul described some who “became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened.” (Rom. 1:21) He also mentioned that they did not like to retain God in their knowledge. (Rom. 1:28)
     I must trust God for any information about heaven. God is the source of all information about Himself, Jesus, the Holy Spirit, Christianity, Heaven, and Hell. God says not everyone is going to heaven. (Matt. 7:21 -24) God says just professing Him won’t get a person to heaven. (Matt. 7:21) God indicates that just prayer won’t save. (John 9:21; Isa. 59:1,2) God tells us that baptism is a must to be saved. (Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38; 1 Peter 3:21) God tells us that baptism is a burial. (Rom. 6:3) Whom do you trust regarding these matters? 
- Bill Brandstatter preaches for the Marion Church of Christ in Marion, IL. He may be contacted through the congregation's website: http://marionchurchofchrist.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment