Monday, March 5, 2012

Do angels drive white Jaguar’s?

By Rick Woodall
     I enjoy getting out on the lawnmower and getting some sunshine in my face. After all, I took care of 600 acres at a Christian institution for a little while.  It’s very rewarding just to sit back with a cold glass of water and look around and hear the birds singing and smelling the fresh cut grass. These moments are very peaceful.  This past week was different. With all kinds of weather related things happenings, the earthquake out East, the stress of wondering if Dad and Mom were alright, an armed robbery just one street over from where we live, one’s mind begins to wonder.  Well. I cleaned all the bad stuff out and was just about to back the lawnmower through the side doors of the church garage when a beautiful white Jaguar pulled up quickly right next to me in this isolated part of the church property.  A guy jumps out and shakes my hand and said “are you the preacher?”
     Now I know that the angel of death does not drive a white Jaguar.  There was another guy in the front seat passenger side. He looked like no one you would want to mess with.  So the tall fellow that shook my hand told me he was from Mississippi and his car had broke down and it took all that he had to fix it. He was in need of money.
     We make it a policy not give money to people and do not keep it in the church building at all.  I told him all I had was six dollars in my billfold.  I said that is all I can do. So, I took it out and placed it in his hand trying not to show my fear.  He said; “thank you Sir” and jumped in his beautiful Jaguar and drove off.  I did notice as they were leaving that he did have Mississippi plates.
     I finished putting the lawnmower away and after I locked the garage I stood there in the parking lot and took a deep breath.  I was thinking how friendly these two guys were and laughing within myself for feeling so much fear at the time they pulled up to me. One scripture came to my mind.
     “Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it.”  - Hebrews 13:2
     Do angels drive white Jaguar’s?  Are they residing in Mississippi?  I don’t know but one thing’s  for sure.  The fear I felt was real and it is a shame we have to fear our fellow man in the times we are living in.
  My prayer is that these two were for real and honestly needed my help.
  I know my heart was right by what I did. I gave them my all at that moment.  They did tell me they liked by Detroit Pistons cap I was wearing as he got back in his car.
     “Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. "Do not fear what they fear ; do not be frightened."
     But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. It is better, if it is God's will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil. – 1 Peter 3:13-17

- Rick Woodall is the minister for the Yorktown Road church of Christ in Logansport Indiana. His weekly devotional message, Life Thoughts, can be found through this address:  http://mysite.verizon.net/yorktownroadchurchofchrist/


No comments:

Post a Comment