Monday, March 28, 2011

When God Says Yes

By Rick Woodall

It all started three years ago when my Dad went in for surgery. The outcome of this operation was not what we expected. For three long years my dad had to depend on a catheter. It was a long three years where he would be limited from all the activities that he enjoyed. He faced the news a lot better than we had expected. I cannot say enough about all the love and support he received from family members and church members.

Dad has always been very involved in the local congregation and for many years was an active leader for the church. During this three year episode of being limited in everyday activates it is interesting to note that the lawn never went without being mowed. Food was always in the table. The younger families of the congregation came to my parents rescue and never complained.

As we headed for Virginia for Dads newest surgery procedure we arrived with many unanswered questions. As Dad prepared to go in the operating room just 3 days before Christmas the surgeon told us the outcome was not good. The possibility existed that Dad would be on this catheter for the rest of his life. We prayed with him as he was wheeled into the room. During the quiet moments of waiting for the outcome I was thinking about all the cards and prayers Dad had received in the past month. My mind took me back to better times when we used to sing in the car on the way to church services. Then it happened. The surgeon came out of the double doors and looked at us with a wonderful smile. He explained that three years ago when the procedure was concluded at another hospital it was only half done. He went on to say that what he found inside my Dad was an awesome sight. The surgeon was able to correct the haphazard surgery of the past. He explained that my Dad would no longer need to depend on the catheter again.

God does not always answer our prayers the way we want him to. Then again there are those times when He goes far beyond our expectations. My gift reminds me not to ignore the answers from God. His understanding is far beyond our knowledge.

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. – Isa 55: 8-9

Have a great week.

- Rick Woodall is the minister for the Yorktown Road church of Christ in Logansport Indiana. His weekly devotional message, Life Thoughts, can be found through this address: http://mysite.verizon.net/yorktownroadchurchofchrist/


No comments:

Post a Comment