Thursday, May 27, 2010

I Can't See Any Harm In It

by Harry Middleton

Consider these guidelines when determining whether a practice is right or wrong.

THE PERSONAL TEST: Will doing this make me a better or worse Christian?

THE SOCIAL TEST: Will doing it influence others to be a better or worse Christian?

THE PRACTICAL TEST: Will the results of my doing it be desireable?

THE UNIVERSAL TEST: If everyone should do this, would it improve or degrade society?

THE SCRIPTURAL TEST: Does the Bible endorse it, or is it expressly forbidden by the Word of God?

THE STEWARDSHIP TEST: Will my doing this constitute a waste of talent God gave me?

THE CHARACTER TEST: What will be the influence of my moral and spiritual stamina?

THE FAMILY TEST: Will it bring discredit and dishonor to my family, and will it embarrass them?

THE PUBLICITY TEST: Would I be willing for friends, fellow Christians, the elders, and the preacher to know about it?

THE COMMON SENSE TEST: Does it agree with just plain, everyday, ordinary common sense?

THE FAIRNESS TEST: Is it honest, and is it practicing the golden rule?

"Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Abstain from all appearances of evil." (1 Thessalonians 5:21-22)

- Harry Middleton serves as one of the ministers for the Lebanon Road church of Christ in Nashville, TN. He may be contacted through the congregation’s website at: http://www.lebanonroadchurchofchrist.org


No comments:

Post a Comment