Listed below are a few of the known symptoms of “lukewarm disease”:
- It affects the mind in that a person stops seeking to learn and teach.
- If affects the ears in that a person only hears what he wants to hear, thus destroying faith.
- It affects the eyes in that a person no longer sees or follows the “strait and narrow.”
- It affects the mouth in that a person no longer speaks the Word of God, or offers up singing and prayer on a regular basis.
- It affects the neck in that a person cannot bow his head in prayer.
- It affects the arms and hands in that a person no longer does the physical labors that are essential in a Christian’s life.
- It affects the heart in that a person’s love for God grows cold.
- It affects the legs and feet in that a person no longer gets to services or visits those needing encouragement.
Do you know of anyone that has the “lukewarm disease”? Not all have every symptom. Not all the symptoms need to be present to affirm that you or someone else has the disease. The “lukewarm” person is a most undependable human being. He faces separation from God. We might hate all earthly diseases, but the “Great Physician” dislikes the “lukewarm disease” most of all. As bad as the “lukewarm disease” is, it can be cured. The “Great Physician” can cure you of this disease. The prescribed cure would be a big dose of Faith and a shovel-full of Work. If you have the “lukewarm disease,” now is the time to take the cure. Have faith in the Lord and His Word for the day is coming when man shall work no more. See Revelation 3:16 for what will happen to the lukewarm: “So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spew thee out of My mouth.”
- Author Unknown; via the Belvedere Beacon, the weekly bulletin of the Belvedere church of Christ, Belvedere, SC. Ken Chumbley preaches for this congregation, and he may be contacted at their website: http://www.belvederechurchofchrist.org