Sunday, May 16, 2010

Reflections On Getting Older

By Charlie Thomason

Birthdays are an annual occurrence--for most folks, at least! To me, birthdays are not that big a deal; however, they serve as a yearly reminder of a daily fact: all of us are getting older! James wrote, "What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes." (James 4:14.) To children, time can't pass quickly enough. To grown-ups, the days pass all too hurriedly. How should it affect us? Here's how it touches me. Knowing how quickly the days go past…

I want to become more and more like the Lord Jesus Christ (Romans 8:29). I want to be the best husband I can be (Ephesians 5:25). I want to be the best daddy I can be (Ephesians 6:4). I want to influence as many people as possible (Mtt. 5:14-16). I want to live life to the fullest (John 10:10). I want God to use me to teach the lost as much as He can (Proverbs 11:30). I want to set my mind on things above (eternal things) because I know I won't be here forever (Colossians 3:1-4). Though we may not like to be reminded of the fact that we're getting older, it is good to rethink and reprioritize our lives in light of that simple truth. Make the most of every opportunity!

- via the Lake Hills Letter, weekly bulletin of the Lake Hills church of Christ in Chattanooga, TN. Shane Robinson, preaches for the congregation, and he may be contacted through their website at http://www.lakehillschurchofchrist.org/


No comments:

Post a Comment