Sunday, May 9, 2010

Now Or Never

By Rick Woodall

I was reading an article in an old magazine that told the story of a man that was totally occupied in his work. He would sometimes stop and imagine what life would be like when he retired. He hoped for morning walks and fishing trips. He looked forward to some time alone where he could reflect on all his blessings. Summer would come and there would be time just to rest and take pleasure in the beauty of the sunset. He would take trips to scenic places and close his eyes in the evening with the relaxing photos still fresh on his mind of all the breathtaking scenery that he took the time to see.

So he continued to toil for his expectations of a deserved future sanctuary of peace, joy and contentment. He never reached the age when all these things were assumed to happen. He died of cancer.

I was in the doctor’s office that day when I stumbled on to this heart-wrenching article. I was in my in my middle thirty’s. The next morning I got up early and watched the sunrise before I went to work. I started taking advantage of all the beautiful parks and recreational areas in the local area. I have to admit it is not like a trip to the some Tropical Island but paradise could be a lot closer than you think if you would just take the time to go there. The reality is this. Take the time now.

“Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go to such and such a town and spend a year there, doing business and making money." Yet you do not even know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead you ought to say, "If the Lord wishes, we will live and do this or that." - James 4:13-15

My gift reminds me that spending too much time on tomorrow might totally destroy a real nice day. Don’t get so caught up in yourself that you have no time to enjoy today and work on your real destination.

“For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:” - Phil 3:20

Have a great week.

Love in Christ,

- Rick Woodall is the minister for the Yorktown Road church of Christ in Logansport Indiana. His weekly devotional message, Life Thoughts, can be found through this address:
http://mysite.verizon.net/yorktownroadchurchofchrist/


No comments:

Post a Comment