By Steve Singleton
Sometimes your heart is in the right place, but it is tremendously difficult to move up ten inches from heart to lips. When you want to apologize but can't seem to find the right words, scan this list for an appropriate line:
1. Please forgive me (Gen. 50:17; 1 Sam. 25:28).
2. I am sinful and stubborn. I need forgiveness (Exodus 34:9).
3. Since I've done this, I hate myself. I won't do it again (Job 42:6).
4. I was unaware of how I was hurting you (Ps. 19:12).
5. Don't withhold your mercy from me. I need it (Psalm 40:11).
6. Have mercy on me (Ps. 51:1; 57:1; 86:3).
7. I know I can count on you to forgive (Ps. 57:1).
8. I'm begging for mercy from you (Psalm 86:6; 130:2; 143:1).
9. I know you are a forgiving person. That's why I plead with you to forgive me (Psalm 130:4).
10. It was wrong, and I will never do it again (Proverbs 28:13).
11. Don't hang up! I'm calling to apologize (Lam. 3:56).
12. I'm not asking forgiveness because I deserve it, but because you have a lot of mercy in your heart (Daniel 9:18).
13. I can't bear to have this between us (Amos 7:2).
14. I know you forgive quickly. You don't stay angry for long. You enjoy forgiving someone. Let it be me (Micah 7:18).
15. I've sinned before God as well to you (Luke 15:21).
16. I don't deserve to be your ________ (friend, spouse, parent, brother/sister, child) (Luke 15:21).
17. You're rich in mercy, and I need plenty of it (Ephesians 2:4).
18. You know what it's like to be forgiven. Now I need your forgiveness (Matt. 18:26-29; Col. 3:13).
19. I'm sorry. I didn't know what I was doing (Luke 23:34).
20. I did it out of ignorance. I apologize (1 Tim. 1:13).
Perhaps you can add a few of your own Sorry Lines. Any said sincerely may start the process of communication and reconciliation. How much is that worth?
- via The Central Message, the weekly bulletin of the Central church of Christ in Paducah KY. Jim Faughn serves as an elder and preacher for the congregation. He may be contacted through the congregation's website at : http://www.centralchurchofchrist.org