Thursday, February 13, 2020

The Seven “I AM” Statements of Jesus in John

By David R. Ferguson

    Of all the accounts of the life and ministry of Jesus Christ, the Gospel of John arguably provides the most evidence of His Divine nature, and probably none more so than the seven “I AM” statements Jesus makes about Himself. Each of these seven declarations gives insight into the Godly character of Jesus as the Son of God. Each of these statements declare for anyone with ears to hear and with eyes to see that Jesus was... no mere Prophet of God, He was literally what His prophesied title of Immanuel meant: He was “God with Us” (Matthew 1:23).

  1. “I AM the Bread of life” (John 6:35 [RSV]). Jesus was the Manna from God, but He also is the Living Word that sustains mankind (Deuteronomy 8:3; John 1:1).
  2. “I AM the Light of the world” (John 8:12 [RSV]). “God is Light and in Him is no darkness at all” (1 John 1:5 [RSV]). Can it be any clearer Who Jesus is?
  3. “I AM the Door” (John 10:9 [RSV]). Jesus is the passage to the Father that all must pass through for salvation from their sins.
  4. “I AM the Good Shepherd” (John 10:11 [RSV]). “The Lord is my Shepherd” wrote David in Psalm 23:1. Jesus is that Lord!
  5. “I AM the Resurrection and the Life” (John 11:25 [RSV]). Only those in Christ will be resurrected to eternal life, something only God can bestow.
  6. “I AM the Way, and the Truth, and the Life” (John 14:6 [RSV]). Jesus, and only Jesus, is the pathway to the eternal truth of God and life in Him.
  7. “I AM the True Vine” (John 15:1 [RSV]). Any other vine is false and will lead to utter and eternal destruction from God’s Presence.
Perhaps the most compelling statement of His Divinity came when Jesus forthrightly declared in John 8:58 [RSV], “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.” Anyone could make such a claim, but only Jesus could back it up. The miracles He performed culminating in His resurrection proved He was, indeed, Divine. Jesus was and is the Living God Who took on human flesh!
    May the Living God bless you and your family!


- David R. Ferguson preaches for the Lakeland Church of Christ in Mattoon, IL.  He may be contacted through the congregation's Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/lakelandchurchofchrist/ or davidferguson61@yahoo.com


No comments:

Post a Comment