Monday, March 2, 2020

Will Heaven Be Worse Than Hell?

By Steve Higginbotham

    The renown Science Fiction writer, Isaac Asimov once wrote, "I don't believe in an afterlife, so I don't have to spend my whole life fearing hell, or fearing heaven even more. For whatever the tortures of hell, I think the boredom of heaven would be even worse."
    I think Asimov not only summed up his own thinking about heaven, but he also summed up the thinking of countless others as well.  Many people, like Asimov, envision heaven as an eternal worship service wherein the saved will sit on hard wooden pews, wearing uncomfortable neck-ties, suits, and dresses. There we will sit for all eternity singing every song in the songbook from cover to cover, only to then start all over again. In a word, many people think heaven will be BORING!
    While I cannot tell you all the things the saved will do when we get to heaven, I can assure you that it won't be "boring," and one won't prefer hell over heaven. How can I make such an assurance?  Because I trust God.
    Had I been with the Israelites when they were backed up against the Red Sea with the Egyptians approaching, I would not have known how God was going to save them, but hindsight revealed he parted the Sea so the Israelites could escape.
    Had I been present when God told Abraham to offer Isaac as a sacrifice, I would not have known how God was going to resolve that situation, but hindsight revealed that he provided a ram.
    Had I been present when Jesus was murdered on a corss, I would have been so confused, but hindsight revealed the resurrection.
    Likewise, while I don't understand how God is going to make heaven the place of eternal joy and happiness devoid of sorrow, pain, and death, I have full faith that someday, hindsight will reveal the answer to that question as well.
    As for me, I'm homesick for a city to which I've never been. As for Asimov, he has changed his thinking about preferring hell over heaven, but sadly, he changed his mind too late.

- Steve Higginbotham preaches for the Karns Church of Christ in Knoxville, TN. He may be contacted through the congregation's website at http://www.karnschurch.org Copyright © 2019 MercEmail 



No comments:

Post a Comment