By Johnny Hester
Christians are not completely immune to anxiety. However, as Holy Spirit-filled followers of the will of God, we do have access to a God who cares for us and who will help us cope with this human reality. Consider, for instance, some things that have been discovered about human anxiety. Objective studies indicate that the average person’s anxiety is focused on…
· 40% - things that will never happen.
· 30% - things about the past that can’t be changed.
· 12% - things about criticism by others, mostly untrue.
· 10% - about health, which gets worse with stress.
· 8% - about real problems that will be faced.
The greatest “real problem” is the reality of sin in the life and the consequences thereof. This is the heaviest burden one can bear. By grace, God gave us Jesus Christ who pleads: "Come to Me, all of you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. All of you, take up My yoke and learn from Me, because I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for yourselves. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light" (Matt. 11:28-30).
- Johnny Hester preaches for the Matthews Church of Christ in Matthews, MO. He may be contacted at email@example.com