Monday, May 17, 2021

Don’t Overlook One of “THE” Most Important Words

By Edd Sterchi

    In the gospel account of John, Jesus is recorded as saying, “I am the...” in reference to Himself in several different ways and occasions. When we read these statements, I wonder if we miss a very important word in them – the word “THE”! “The” is a definite article which indicates only one thing in reference. Thus, when Jesus used the word “the” in the following statements, He meant He was “the one and only” possibility:
  • When Jesus said, “I am the bread of life” (John 6:35), He was indicating that He is the only source of proper spiritual nourishment.
  • When Jesus said, “I am the light of the world” (John 8:12), He was revealing that He is the only author of true enlightenment.
  • When Jesus said, “I am the door” (John 10:9), He was saying that He is the only passageway to heaven.
  • When Jesus said, “I am the good shepherd” (John 10:11), He was pointing out that He is the only director of the church (the sheepfold) and how she operates.
  • When Jesus said, “I am the Son of God” (John 10:36), He was saying that He is the only Savior of the human race.
  • When Jesus said, “I am the resurrection” (John 11:25), He was saying that He is the only way to be raised to eternal life after death.
  • When Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life” (John 14:6), He was saying that He is the only avenue of access to the Father in heaven.
  • When Jesus said, “I am the true vine” (John 15:5), He was saying that He is the only means of true spiritual productivity.
    These are indeed powerful pronouncements from Jesus Christ. As we read them time and time again, let us be continually reminded of how Jesus is “the” only one who can make “the” difference in our lives.
- Edd Sterchi preaches for the Broadway Church of Christ in Campbellsville, KY. He may be contacted through the congregation's website: http://www.broadwaychurchofchrist.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment