Wednesday, April 1, 2020

You're Number Two

By Alan Smith

    I heard about a couple that was celebrating their second anniversary. The husband arranged to have flowers sent to his wife at her office. He told the florist to write "Happy Anniversary, Year Number 2" on the card.
    His wife was thrilled with the flowers, but not so pleased with the card. It mistakenly read, "Happy Anniversary. You're Number 2."
    While I chuckle at that story, the truth of the matter is that if the same thing had happened to my wife, she would have reacted in a totally different way -- she would have been thrilled! Perhaps a word of explanation is in order as I share something very private with you.
    While we were dating, I came up with a pet name for Sueanne. She was my "little number two" (usually written as "lil no. 2"). That was how I would address her when I wrote her notes or sent her cards -- "Lil no. 2." That was my way of saying to her, "God comes first in my life, but you are second."
    It never bothered my wife that she was number two in my life. She never saw that as an insult. In fact, I think she understood that as long as God stood in the number one place in my life, she would always be treated with dignity, love and compassion. We are approaching 29 years of married life, and she remains my "lil no. 2". She always has been, she always will be. She will never be number one. But that's OK with her.
    "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength." (Mark 12:30)
    Seek to make God number one in your life and I promise it will improve your relationship with "number two."
    Have a great day!

 - Alan Smith, minister for the Cruciform Church of Christ in Spring Lake, North Carolina, may be contacted at alansmith.servant@gmail.com or through the congregation's website: http://www.cruciformcoc.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment