Monday, March 31, 2014

What is Jesus to You?

By Edd Sterchi

Many people would obviously give many different answers to that question. In the book of John, Jesus gives seven “I am the” statements.  In these, not only do I see what Jesus is, but what He is to me.


* “I am the bread of life.” (John 6:35) - Jesus is my satisfaction.  He fills my life with His love and blessings.  If I crave spiritual growth, He makes sure I find it.  If I desire peace, He will grant it.  He will never leave me hungry.
* “I am the light of the world.” (John 8:12) - Jesus is my enlightenment. When I go to His word for advice, He always show the right way.  I am ever finding great words of truth and wisdom as I search the Scriptures.  He will never darken my life.
* “I am the door.” (John 10:9) - Jesus is my passageway.  He is the doorway from death to life – the transport from uselessness to usefulness.  As long as I remain faithful to Him, He will never shut me out of heaven’s blessings.
* “I am the good shepherd” (John 10:14) - Jesus is my protector.  He watches over my soul and shields me from that which would cause eternal harm.  He will never let Satan the wolf get to me if I do not want him to.
* “I am the resurrection and the life.” (John 11:25) - Jesus is my life force. - He is the one who created me, saved me, and continues to sustain me.  He will never let death rule over me.
* “I am the way, the truth, and the life.” (John 14:6) - Jesus is my path to righteousness.  He desires what is best for me, and I can find all truth and goodness in Him.  He will never steer me wrong.
* “I am the vine” (John 15:5) - Jesus is my support.  He holds me up when I am weak.  He strengthens me when I need it.  He gives me power to succeed.  He will never let me down.

Jesus is my everything.  Without Him I am nothing.  With Him I have everything.  It is as the song states: “He is my everything, He is my all; He is my everything, both great and small; He gave His live for me, made everything new; He is my everything, now how about you?”

- Edd Sterchi preaches for the Broadway Church of Christ in Campbellsville, KY. He may be contacted at
eddsterchi@comcast.net

No comments:

Post a Comment