Monday, October 28, 2013

The Space Between

By Mark Adams

    Though I’ve gotten better over the years, I can be a tough person to travel with. I don’t like stopping or slowing down. If I’m traveling 70mph and have to stop for a 15-minute break, then that means in the time I spent stopping, I could have been a little over 17 miles closer to my destination. Plus, if the stop involves a drink, it may well mean I’ll have to stop again later, which means more time “lost” that keeps me from getting wherever I’m going. I’m definitely influenced by our fast-paced culture.
    Recently, I’ve been reading C.S. Lewis’ Surprised By Joy, which is a sort of spiritual autobiography of his life. He has caused me to rethink my travel strategies. His assessment of modern transportation is that it annihilates space, “One of the most glorious gifts we have been given.”
    He went on to say, “…a modern boy travels a hundred miles with less sense of liberation and pilgrimage and adventure than his grandfather got from traveling ten. …If a man hates space … why not creep into his coffin at once? There is little enough space there.”
    It has always been God’s intent for us to enjoy his creation. Overwhelmed with the beauty of God’s handiwork, David exclaims in Psalm 8:9, “O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth!” So this week, why not go for a walk? If your routine is to walk, why not slow down and pay attention a little more?
    Wherever you are going, remember that this life is a journey that God intends you to experience with Him. You will reach your heavenly destination in God’s time, so for now, enjoy the space between.

- via The Encourager, the weekly bulletin for the Calvert City Church of Christ, Calvert City, KY.  Lance Cordle preaches for the congregation.  He may be contacted through the congregation's website: http://www.calvertchurchofchrist.com

No comments:

Post a Comment