Monday, September 23, 2013

Lessons From a Lawn Tractor

By Michael P. Reese

     In the 1960’s my father-in-law, Ed McCullough bought a G10 Bolens riding tractor. For over twenty years this tractor faithfully mowed his lawn at 3637 McDowell Street in Canton, Ohio. In the early 1990’s Ed decided to replace his Bolens and passed the tractor on to me. For five or six years I used the tractor to mow the lawn at our antique mall. I then brought the tractor home where with the help of the mower doctor, Wayne Efaw’s masterful repairs, I was able to keep my grass cut on a regular basis. Each year I would charge, or replace the battery, tighten a belt, or if I couldn’t make the repair, Wayne could. Each year the mower faithfully performed its duty. I knew parts were getting hard to find and the tractor was getting harder to keep running. But somehow, each time I added gas and turned the key the Bolens would start and faithfully perform its grass cutting duties-until last night. The repairs had become more frequent and more detailed in recent weeks. I knew this might be the last season for the mower, but I wasn’t ready for the news I received from Wayne upon his diagnosis of the problem. The loud noise I heard just before the engine locked up was a piston rod coming loose. The mower was too old to repair. My faithful mower of over forty years was now junk.
     I can’t help but reflect on how my mower mirrors life. We start out all new and shiny at birth-our whole life in front of us. Then as the years pass, we need repairs or costly maintenance to keep going. As the Psalmist of old succinctly stated “The days of our lives are seventy years; And if by reason of strength they are eighty years, Yet their boast is only labor and sorrow; For it is soon cut off, and we fly away” (Psalm 90:10). If by strength we do reach eighty years we know it is appointed unto man once to die and then the judgment.” Heb. 9:27
     My mower will soon be replaced. But there is no replacing the human soul. WE only get one chance at life on the earth, then eternity begins. Human destiny is sealed at death. There are no second chances. Are you seeking first the kingdom of God (Matthew 6:33)? Are you walking a faithful Christian walk (I John 1:7-10)? Are you a faithful Christian?
     Let us learn a valuable lesson from my lawn tractor. Just as Thursday, September 8, 2011 marked the last time the Bolens will mow my lawn, each one of us will someday spend our last day on earth. Are you ready for eternity?

- Michael P. Reese; - via The Encourager, the weekly bulletin for the Calvert City Church of Christ, Calvert City, KY.  Lance Cordle preaches for the congregation.  He may be contacted through the congregation's website: http://www.calvertchurchofchrist.com


No comments:

Post a Comment