Monday, April 9, 2012

I Stand — Even When I Don't


By Jim Faughn


      It has become fashionable in some circles to add a little “choreography” along with songs of praise and worship. I know I’m an old fogey, but I’m not planning to be in one of those circles.
      To use just one example, I do stand (remain) in awe of deity. I do not, however, see the need to physically demonstrate that during a period of worship.
      I stand in awe when I am sitting and reading God’s word. I stand in awe when I am lying on my back at night and looking at the splendor of God’s universe. I stand in awe when I’m walking in the woods or along a beach. I stand in awe when I’m driving down the road and see a beautiful sunrise, sunset, or rainbow. And, yes, I stand in awe when I stand in front of people and try to come to grips with my duty as a preacher of the gospel.
      I’ve seen where “performance worship” leads. I found myself at a youth gathering on one occasion where my Lord’s incarnation, ministry, death, burial, resurrection, and ascension were all “acted out” during a song. Some of those who participated even found a way include swinging hips and other movements that would have been more appropriate at a night club than at a church building (which is where it took place).
      I wonder if those who “stand to praise [Jesus]” also “fall to [their] knees.” Just wondering.
      If you are among those who feel the need to add choreography to your worship, I hope you don’t mind if I don’t join you. I prefer to direct my worship heavenward rather than call attention to myself.


- Jim Faughn serves as an elder and preacher for the Central church of Christ in Paducah KY.  He may be contacted through the congregation's website: http://www.centralchurchofchrist.org [You may also visit Jim's blog at http://jimdon.wordpress.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment