Monday, March 26, 2012

The Foolishness of God

By David R. Ferguson
    “The foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men.”  What a very profound statement that is indeed! From the very beginning when Adam and Eve ignored God’s warnings not to eat of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, and they did so anyway, mankind has felt we were far wiser and knew so much more than our Creator Who made us! What contemptible arrogance is that held by mankind! David, although a man who knew sin, was wise enough to recognize his own shortcomings and his deep need for salvation.  It is no wonder David is described as a man after God’s own heart (1 Samuel 13:14).  David wrote in Psalm 69:5 [RSV], “O God, Thou knowest my folly; the wrongs I have done are not hidden from Thee.”  David also recognizes the Source of his forgiveness.  He said, “The Lord is my Rock, and my Fortress, and my Deliverer, my God, my Rock, in Whom I take refuge, my Shield and the Horn of my salvation, my Stronghold and my refuge, my Savior” (2 Samuel 22:2-3, RSV).
    Mankind is not only foolish in believing they have no sin; they are also foolish in believing they are worthy of salvation, as if they have earned this gift from God.  There is nothing that can make us worthy of forgiveness.  It is a true gift to those who are needy.  Do what we will, whether visit the sick, feed the hungry, give drink to the thirsty, or sleep on a bed of nails, our righteousness outside of Christ is described as being nothing more than waving a filthy rag in frot of the face of God.  “We have all become like one who is unclean and all our righteous deeds re like a polluted garment.  We all fade like a leaf, and our iniquities, like the wind, take us away” (Isaiah 64:6, RSV).  But washed in the blood of Jesus, we become clothed in His holy garments.  (Galatians 3:27)

- David R. Ferguson preaches for the Lakeland Church of Christ in Mattoon, IL.  He may be contacted through the congregation's website:
http://lakelandchurchofchrist.web.officelive.com/default.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment