Monday, October 31, 2011

WANTS vs. NEEDS (Adapted)

* I may want to accumulate all the physical things I possibly can -- I need to realize that my life does not consist of the amount of the things that I own (Luke 12:15).
* I may want to appear “sophisticated and wise” in my religious beliefs and practices -- I need to hear “Jesus Christ and Him crucified” (1 Cor. 2:2), and to take my own cross (Matt. 16:24).
* I may want to spend all my time in leisure, “free from responsibility,” -- I need to work and provide for my family (Eph. 4:28; 1 Tim. 5:8).
* I may want to hear all “positive preaching” -- I need to be reproved, rebuked, and exhorted (2 Tim. 4:2).
* I may want to treat my children as “small adults” and be their “best friend” -- I need to be their parent and properly discipline and train them before God (Eph. 6:4).
* I may want to keep my total independence even though married -- I need to remember the mutual dependence of husband and wife (1 Cor. 7:3; Col. 3:18).
* I may become so accustomed to, and so enamored with this world that I want to live here forever -- I need to remember that my citizenship is in heaven (Phil. 3:20).
* I may want to live a solitary Christian life -- I need the church (1 Cor. 12:27).
* I may want to assert my rights and privileges and live the way I want to -- I need to remember that no man lives to himself and that one day every one of us will give an account of himself to God (Rom. 14:8, 12).
* I may want to live my life without God -- I need God (Psa. 46:1).
* I may want to go to heaven under my terms -- I need to follow God’s ways to get there (Matt. 7:13-14, 21-23).
* I may want to give up when the going gets tough -- I need to be faithful unto death (Rev. 2:10).
* I may want to please people -- I need to please God (Gal. 1:10).

- Lance Cordle preaches the Calvert City church of Christ in Calvert City, KY.  He may be contacted through the congregation's website:
http://www.calvertchurchofchrist.com


No comments:

Post a Comment