By Gerald Cowan (Sermon Notes)
We have seen that two of the names of God are plural (ELOHIM and ADONAI), indicating that the One God is a plural personality. In the present lesson we will discuss some of the names and designations of the second aspect of the Godhead, who is identified with Jesus Christ.
Some names often applied to him do not actually pertain to him (those in the Song of Solomon, for example: Rose of Sharon, the Lily of the valleys, Fairest of ten thousand). We will mention some that show the relationship of Jesus Christ to both God and man.
1. Old Testament names.
SHILOH. Gen. 49:10
PROPHET. Dt. 18:15, Acts 3:22
PRINCE OF PEACE. Is. 9:6
2. Names shared by the first and second aspect of the Godhead.
EL, ELOHIM. Ps. 45:6, Heb. 1:8
ADONAI. Ps. 110:1, Mt.22:43
JEHOVAH. Is. 6:5, Jn. 12:37-41
EVERLASTING FATHER. Is. 9:6
I AM. John 6:5, 8:12, 8:58, 10:36, and 14:6.
3. Personal names.
JESUS. Mt. 1:21
CHRIST OF GOD. 1 Cor. 3:23
4. Names that emphasize deity. IMMANUEL. Is. 7:14, Mt. 1:23
SON OF GOD. Luke 22:70, John 10:36
ONLY BEGOTTEN SON OF GOD. John 1:14, 18, 3:18, 36, and 10:36.
THE WORD. John 1:1-4
THE GLORY. James 2:1, John 1:14
5. Names that have to do with his relationship to mankind and his service to mankind.
SON OF MAN. Heb. 2:8, Jn. 12:34
LORD (KURIOS). Luke 6:46, Rom. 10:9-10, Phil. 2:11
RABBI. John 3:2
SAVIOR. Acts 4:12
REDEEMER. Job 19:25, Rev. 5:9
ROCK. 1 Cor. 10:4, Mt. 16:18
6. Jesus has a name that is above every name, a name that only he himself comprehends. Phil. 2:11, cf Rev. 2:17.
Our desire is that every person come to know Jesus Christ, not just by name in a personal relationship.
- Gerald Cowan preaches for the Dongola church of Christ in Dongola, IL. He may be contacted at Geraldcowan1931@aol.com